The Best Kayak Storage Racks and Hoists of 2020
Last Updated on
The Best Kayak Storage Rack of 2020
Whether you are just from the shops with your first kayak, or you are a seasoned kayak pro, one thing you are going to appreciate as a kayak owner is the importance of quality storage. It is imperative to have a very reliable kayak storage rack that will make it a simple task for you to store and unload your vessel so that you can enjoy using it more efficiently and longer. This will result in spending more time on the lake, and less time in the garage. We always find it a little sad that most kayak owners don’t invest in proper kayak storage. Instead, dumping their kayaks on their garage floors sound good for them as far as kayak storage is concerned. This article will help you find the best kayak storage rack and the best kayak hoist to keep your kayak in the best condition possible.
Are you in the market for a great kayak? Consider checking out some of these articles:
- 1 The Best Kayak Storage Rack of 2020
- 1.1 Why Should I Care About Using a Kayak Hoist or Rack?
- 1.2 The Best Kayak Storage Systems and Racks of 2020
- 1.2.1 1006 RAD Sports Deluxe Heavy Duty Kayak Rack – The Best Kayak Rack of 2020
- 1.2.2 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage System – The Best Kayak Hoist System of 2020
- 1.2.3 Hi-Port 2 Kayak Ceiling Rack system – Our Favorite Kayak Ceiling Rack
- 1.2.4 Malone Auto Racks Kayak Storage System
- 1.2.5 1003 Kayak and Canoe Lift Hoist Storage System
- 1.3 Our Buying Guide to Choosing the Right Kayak Storage Rack
- 1.4 Our Conclusion on Finding the Perfect Kayak Storage Rack
Why Should I Care About Using a Kayak Hoist or Rack?
There are a plethora of risks that come with poor kayak storage, and for any concerned owner, the investment in a good storage system is always a necessary one. With poor storage, the kayak is at risk of scuffs and scratches, including structural deformation which may curtail the lifespan of the vessel.
Investing in a solidly built storage, on the other hand, will not just ensure that you have proper storage for your vessel for a lifetime, but also will guarantee the safety, security, and ease of access to your vessel. It will save you from the frustrations, injuries, and damages to your person, car or garage that are normally associated with poorly thought-out kayak storage systems.
The Best Kayak Storage Systems and Racks of 2020
1006 RAD Sports Deluxe Heavy Duty Kayak Rack – The Best Kayak Rack of 2020
- ALL METAL RACK - Our Deluxe Kayak Rack will withstand rigorous use year after year. Powder Coated finish and UV protected cushioned sleeves means this rack will be there for you when you need it next year, or for years to come.
- HOLDS TWO KAYAKS - Will hold two kayaks or stand up paddle boards with ease. No one wants to find their favorite kayak or paddle board lying on the ground after they hung it up. This Deluxe Kayak Stand will not let you, or your kayaks down.
- VERSATILITY - Can be used indoors or outdoors, the padded arms are UV protected to protect form sunny days in the summer that destroys cheaper materials.
- LARGE CAPACITY - Weight capacity is 175 pounds, enough for two large kayaks, paddle boards or stand-up paddle boards. If you really want a kayak rack that will not let you, or your kayak down, then the RAD Deluxe Kayak Rack is for you.
- USE ANYWHERE - Can be used in your garage, boat house, or dock. You're not limited to just your garage, mount this rack to your dock, your deck, or your boathouse. 52"H x 94"W x 26"D.
This is a deluxe quality freestanding kayak storage rack that is designed with the capacity to store a total of two kayaks at any given time. It is made of heavy duty powder coated steel and will withstand all the elements whether you use it indoors or outdoors.
With a dual tripod base, the kayak rack is very stable and will comfortably accommodate kayak weights of over 175lbs even in average wind conditions. The steel arms are made with protective padded steel to guarantee that your kayak will not be damaged during the storage period.
For extra security during storage, the rack comes with two hold-down anchors that allow for more versatility in securing the rack in place such as on the deck, dock or even on the floor. Additionally, the fact that the rack is an all-metal rack assures you of years of convenient and safe storage for your kayak every time you are not using it. If you are the proud owner of two or four kayaks, then this is a storage system you will definitely fall in love with.
- It is an all-metal rack
- Easy to use
- Large capacity – up to two kayaks
- Can be used anywhere
- Can only store two kayaks
- Doesn’t come with a lot of fasteners
- No hardware for assembly
1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage System – The Best Kayak Hoist System of 2020
- RUBBER COATED HOOKS - Hooks are designed with a rubber coating to protect from scratches. Durable straps ensure that your kayak is secure and will not fail. We guarantee it.
- EASY TO INSTALL - Mount to your ceiling joist or rafter and so easy to use. With only the minimum of tools you can have your kayak hanging in your garage in no time.
- ROBUST ENGINEERING - allows you to lift heavy products, up to 125lb. Capacity. This is the kayak hoist that all the other are trying to copy. We don't cut corners. This is the original RAD kayak hoist you've heard about.
- INDOOR USE - For indoor ceilings up to 12 ft. high. Once the kayak is out of the way you free up so much floor space you won't know what to do with it all.
- SAFETY LOCKS - Safe locking mechanism prevents accidental release. No one wants to come home and find their kayak has fallen to the floor. The Rad Kayak Hoist is safe enough to park your car under.
If you are looking for versatile storage that will not make you lament the lack of room for storing your kayak, then this kayak hoist garage storage system will be the answer to your lamentations. It is designed in a manner that will allow you to safely and conveniently store your kayak overhead. It features smooth pulleys and latches that make it possible for you hoist even the heaviest kayaks you may have.
The system is also designed with a unique and secure rock locking mechanism to stop any unwanted release of the kayak when in storage. The other admirable feature you will love about this rack system is its ease of installation. All you need is a minimum set of tools to have the rack hoisted in your garage and ready for you. The recommended maximum weight of kayaks ideal for this storage is 125lbs, and it is ideal for use both indoors and outdoors.
- Rubber coated hooks for protection against scratches
- Easy to install
- Robust engineering to allow for weights of up to 125lbs
- Ideal for indoor use
- Safety locks to prevent accidental release
- Can store only one kayak at a time
- Not ideal for outdoor use
- May sometimes ship with missing parts
Hi-Port 2 Kayak Ceiling Rack system – Our Favorite Kayak Ceiling Rack
If you are in the market for the best overhead kayak storage rack, then this mount system may be the right choice for you. It is a versatile rack design that makes kayak storage indoors a breeze.
The double-ceiling storage is convenient for storing up to two kayaks with weights of up to 150lbs. The design features 30-inch wide arms to accommodate the bulk of the current kayaks in the market today, thus ensuring that you will find it suitable for storing most of the kayak models you may be having.
The installation process of this rack is also quick and easy, and since it ships with all the necessary installation hardware and instruction, you will have it up and ready for use in just a matter of minutes. Though it is fit for use in a variety of indoor environments, the garage would the most suitable for its installation.
- Can store up to 2 kayaks
- Quick and easy installation
- Can accommodate kayaks of all sizes
- Made of heavy-duty steel – can support up to 150lbs
- Not ideal for outdoor use
- Don’t have straps, hence, may not be safe
- Screws need improvement
Malone Auto Racks Kayak Storage System
- Powder coated for indoor or outdoor kayak storage
- Includes 2 sets of steel padded J-Style holders and 1 set of foam stacker blocks to protect your kayak
- Eight frame levelers for perfect placement
- 3 boat storage - 250 pound load capacity
- Lifetime warranty
The Malone Auto Racks Kayak Storage system features a very simple, yet effective rack storage system for your kayaks. The storage rack is incredibly strong, affordable and guaranteed by the manufacturer to last for a lifetime.
It is designed to not just offer safe and reliable storage for canoes, kayaks or SUP, but also ensure that they are well-maintained during the storage duration.
The construction features heavy duty 1.25” square construction with stainless steel to ensure that it will withstand all the elements and serve you for a lifetime. It is also important to note that it is powder coated and this makes it suitable for use under both indoor and outdoor conditions.
With a sturdy base, this kayak storage system can comfortably store up three kayaks with a maximum weight of 250 pounds. Its space requirement is also minimal, and if you desire a system that can offer safe storage when you don’t have enough rooms, then it is a system worth considering.
- Can store up to three kayaks
- Simple design
- Strong and sturdy.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- No hoist mechanism, hence, a lot of energy will be needed to store the kayaks
1003 Kayak and Canoe Lift Hoist Storage System
- Hooks are designed with a rubber coating to protect from scratches
- Easy to install and easy to use
- ROBUST ENGINEERING - New improved STRAPS eliminate the fragile hooks that plague cheaper hoists, and allow you to lift heavy products, up to 125lb. Capacity. This is the kayak hoist that all the other are trying to copy.
- For Ceilings up to 12ft, you can mount this item as pictured on a 2 X 4 and screw the 2 X 4 to the joist or mount it right to the joist itself
- Safe locking mechanism prevents accidental release
This is another versatile kayak storage rack ideal for kayakers who don’t have a lot of room for storage. It makes it easy for you to store your kayak, ladder or canoe overhead and without blocking the way for the normal users of the storage spaces. The system features smooth pulleys and latches that make it a breeze to hoist and lower your kayaks, including the very heavy ones.
The design also features an engineered rope locking mechanism for extra safety during instances of unwanted release. It is also worth mentioning that the straps come with hooks strong enough to accommodate weights of up to 125lbs. Again, the installation process is very simple, and you can install it on ceilings of up to 12ft.
It is, however, ideal only for indoor use since hoisting may be a challenge in the outdoors, and there could also be concerns about the effects of elements on its quality over the long run.
- Versatile rack for canoe, kayaks, and ladders
- Easy to install and use
- Ideal for indoor use
- Not suitable for outdoor use
- Can only accommodate one kayak
Given the simple, yet effective design, it is one of the best kayak hoist systems you will find around.
Our Buying Guide to Choosing the Right Kayak Storage Rack
A kayak storage rack is available in a variety of shapes, sizes, color and price ranges. There currently exist a ton of choices for kayakers to choose from when considering a good storage rack. However, the availability of superfluity in choices does not mean that every system will be ideal for you and as such, you are free to walk into the shops and pick the first system that strikes your eyes. Your choice for a system will, therefore, depend on a variety of factors, and here are a few factors you should use to guide you in making the right choice for finding the best kayak storage rack:
- The size of your storage space– if you have a small garage that barely fits your car, then you will be better off with a kayak hoist system. If you are not limited in terms of space, then you may be free to consider the other systems.
- The frequency of use – going for the best kayak racks is ideal if you need long term storage, and it will not be convenient if you have to use the kayak every now and then. If you love going padding every weekend, then your best choice is to consider a system that will take the least of time to mount and unmount the kayak.
- The number of kayaks you want to store – the number of kayaks you own will also determine the kind of storage system you go for. If you have more than one kayak, you will need more space for the storage compared to just having one kayak. Again, if you have small space but more than one kayak, you should consider systems that won’t eat up the entire space.
- Your physicality – your physicality will determine whether you are comfortable with hoist systems that will require least effort to operate, or if you will go for a system with mechanical hoists that may require some effort to operate.
Our Conclusion on Finding the Perfect Kayak Storage Rack
We hope this article has been helpful for outlining some of the kayak hoists and kayak racks that are on the market. We firmly believe if you are going to have a kayak that you need to properly store it. If you have any questions on which kayak storage rack is right for you, leave a comment below!