Last Updated on
Finding the Best Fishing Pliers
Fishing pliers happen to be one of those easily overlooked gears when setting out for a fishing expedition, but it will not be until you are in desperate need of them when you realize just how important they area. In the course of fishing, you will need pliers to change split rings, cut lines, bend wires and remove hooks amongst other applications. As such, if you are truly passionate about fishing, you will take seriously your fishing pliers just as you take your fishing sunglasses, hooks, reels and any other thing you would normally need for a successful fishing experience. We decided we wanted to share some thoughts and recommendations when looking for the best fishing pliers on the market.
It goes without saying that though there are several types of pliers in the market today, there is no guarantee that all of them will be suitable for your needs. It calls for diligence and a lot of caution to go through the available models and choose one with every feature you will have use for during your fishing trip. I guess you don’t need needle nose pliers that will break after using it for just a couple of trips or brittle aluminum fishing pliers that will keep on bending every time you use them to remove hooks. To help you out, we have shared with you below what you need to look for in fishing pliers and also reviewed some of the best fishing pliers you should consider having inside your tackle box.
An Overview of our Top Picks
Some Features to Look for When Buying Fishing Pliers
The following are some of the features that every good plier in your tackle box must have-:
You should have a plier that won’t rust and shut, and the best choices so far are aluminum and stainless steel fishing pliers. If you are going for stainless steel, be sure that it is not the cheap type. The shame should also be the case with aluminum fishing pliers since cheap aluminum will bend under high pressure. For steel, always go for anything above 420HC stainless steel and for aluminum, go for aircraft grade aluminum alloys.
Basic plier will always come with side cutters that can be used for cutting fluorocarbon and monofilament. However, if you love using a lot of braids, then you may be frustrated when they become dull. The solution is to go for pliers with dedicated line cutters that are hardened and sharpened and specifically designed to cut braids.
Remember, you will be faced with situations where you will have to perform deep hook removal, and this is where you will appreciate having pliers with long nose lengths. However, choose the nose length that corresponds to the kind of fish species you will be going after. If you will be going for large and toothier fish such as those found in salty waters, then go for saltwater fishing pliers.
Fishing lures, water, and fish slime can sometimes make the pliers too slick to handle if they have a poor grip. Sometimes it is less exciting to unhook a fish when everything is very slippery. The solution to this is to get a handle with a very good grip so that irrespective of the conditions, you will still hold tight without worrying about dropping it or getting an injury.
In addition to having side cutters, you will also need the pliers to have a very strong side cutter to make it easy to cut the shank of the hook should you need to – as you will always have to. Most of the cheap pliers will always break under pressure when subjected to cutting a hook. For such applications, you will desire to have very beefy pliers that will get the job done in no time.
Split Ring Tool
Though not a necessity, this is a bonus feature you will appreciate having in your titanium fishing pliers. It becomes very instrumental when you want to replace or a change a treble hook on the lures. In its absence, you will have a lot of fumbling to do with your fingers in trying to open and install the split rings.
If you will be venturing out in a kayak or deep waters where waves can pitch the boat suddenly, then a lanyard is a must-have feature in your fishing pliers.
Our Recommendations for the Best Fishing Pliers for your Tackle Box
Now that you have a good understanding of the features you need to look for in pliers, here is a look at reviews of some of the best fishing pliers that should never miss in your tackle box-:
Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Add Piscifun fishing pliers to your fishing arsenal. Make your hook removal much easier. Fish on!
- Anti-Corrosion Aluminum - The aircraft-grade anodized aluminum delivers excellent corrosion resistance, great for long term use without any signs of oxidation and rust. CNC cut handles offer extreme light feeling and durability.
- Spring Loaded Pliers - Keeps the pliers open freely, super easy to use by one hand. The titanium coated stainless steel jaws come with split ring tip, strong enough for removing hooks and splitting rings.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters - The Sharpest Tungsten Carbide Cutters (which are fully replaceable) of any pliers on the market, make it extremely easy to cut the strongest braided lines, the heaviest mono leader, the fly lines and backing lines.
- Excellent Carrying Around Pliers - Come with Nylon Sheath, Coiled Lanyard and Belt Loop Clasp makes the pliers extremely convenient to carry around and secure with you. The Belt Loop on the back of the sheath makes it safer when being attached to the belt.
The Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers is one of the best saltwater fishing pliers you should consider having if you wish to take your fishing to the next level and avoid all the hassles associated with cheap and poor quality pliers. With the features that these pliers have, it is easy to understand why it is a popular and a favorite for many passionate fishers. Some of its outstanding features include-:
Safe removal of hooks – the pliers has powerful and durable stainless steel jaws that make it super easy to safely remove hooks from your catches.
Easy cutting of lines – the pliers has a replaceable tungsten cutter that is very sharp and will cut through tough braid fishing lines like a child’s play.
Sheath and lanyard – these aluminum fishing pliers have a sheath and a retractable coil lanyard. As such, it is safe to carry around along your other fishing gear.
The other notable features include-: not easy to bend, stylish design, ergonomic design, and split rings quickly.
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Not easy to bend
- Ergonomic design
- May break if used in salt water
- May bend under very high pressure
- May not be very durable
Here is a great review video on the Piscifun Fishing Pliers
Kastking Cutthroat Saltwater Fishing Pliers
- Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel - The KastKing Cutthroat pliers are made from corrosion resistant 420 stainless steel and coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Our stainless steel pliers are 46% harder than aluminum pliers and nearly 3 times the bending strength of aluminum pliers. Designed for long term performance, these pliers are ideal for both freshwater and harsh saltwater environments.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters - Super hard tungsten carbide cutters slice though mono, fluorocarbon, or braid with ease. Side mounted anvil cutters for easy access, these cutters allow you to cut your tag end as close to the knot as you desire without any obstructions and the raised surface behind the blade ensures your line will always be in the cutting zone.
- Multi-Function Jaws - Grab and remove any fish hook with the serrated jaws or take advantage of the crimping slots to secure a split shot weight or build a steel leader. To cinch down a knot quickly and safely, insert your hook into one of the holes in the jaws and pull on your hook to create a tight knot. Available in both a straight nose and a Split ring nose design.
- Rubber Handle - The ergonomic textured rubber handle provides comfort and control. A thin grip profile and the spring loaded jaws allow for easy one hand use without worrying about the pliers slipping out of your hands.
- Sheath/Lanyard Included - Includes a custom molded sheath with belt clip to ensure your investment is protected from normal wear and tear. Clip on to your belt or the waistband of your shorts, to make sure you have quick access when a fish is on the line and the coiled lanyard will ensure your pliers don't fall overboard!
Kastking Cutthroat Saltwater fishing pliers is a 7” pliers made of strong and durable stainless steel. If you normally venture in salty water for fishing, then this is one of the best fishing pliers you will find in the market today. Some of its notable features include-:
Corrosion resistant – the pliers are made from 420 stainless steel and further coated with Teflon to eliminate any instance of corrosion.
Tungsten carbide cutters – the pliers boasts of superhard carbide cutters that will happily slice through braid, mono or fluorocarbon with ease.
Multifunction jaws – with the jaws, you can do more than just remove hooks from your catch.
Rubber handle- good pliers is not complete if it doesn’t have a good grip, and to this effect, the Kastking cutthroat saltwater fishing pliers come with rubbers that will offer a strong and comfortable grip.
- Effective in cutting shipping lines
- Rubber handles for a great grip
- Comes with a sheath/lanyard
- Some customers complained of the pliers rusting faster, hence, not corrosion resistant.
Dr. Meter Fishing Pliers – Best Fishing Tool Set
- Complete 3-Piece Fishing Tool Set: Get the kit that does it all. Each Dr.meter Fishing Tool Set includes a fish plier, a fish gripper, and even a durable fish gloves! It's perfect for pros and amateurs alike.
- Heavy Duty Fish Plier: Thanks to its aluminum and stainless steel construction, the fish plier is tough as nails. Use it to remove hooks, cut your line, and more.
- Convenient Fish Gripper: Hold on to slippery, slimy fish with the fish gripper! The metal hook holds the fish in place, and the EVA handle helps you maintain a tight grip in both wet and dry conditions.
- Protective Fish Gloves: Keep your hands safe and in tip-top condition with the protective gloves. The glove is made from high-quality ethylene fabric with a rubber reinforced palm. These gloves maximize durability without sacrificing flexibility.
- Never Lose Your Tools: We've included a fastener lock, a coiled lanyard, and a sturdy nylon sheath to help you keep track of your pliers. You'll never lose track of them again
Dr. Meter Fishing Pliers is more than just mere fishing pliers, but a complete set of fishing tools. It is a complete 3-set fishing tool that features a fish pliers, fish gloves and a fish gripper. The pliers are heavy duty pliers made from aluminum and stainless steel, making it as tough as nails and open it up to a variety of fishing applications. The convenient gripper is to help you deal with slippery situations, while the metal hook will make it a breeze for you to hold the catch in place. The gloves, on the other hand, are for your safety and together with the rubber handles of the pliers, you will be guaranteed of the best grip when using the pliers.
- It is a complete 3-piece fishing tool
- The pliers are made of heavy duty stainless steel and aluminum
- Comes with a protective glove
- Has versatile applications
- So far, none from the past buyers!
Gerber Magniplier Fishing Pliers – Best Kayak Fishing Plier
- COMFORTABLE GRIP AND CONTROL: Bearhand Control is an ergonomic control system comprised of three design elements that translate the power of the hand into power you can utilize in the tool.
- EFFECTIVE HANDLE DESIGN: The space between the handles is purposeful - it is optimized to engage where the hand is strongest for maximum force.
- ADDITIONAL STABILITY: An oversized finger choil is integrated as another place to rest forefinger.
- EASY HOOK REMOVAL: The nose of pliers is off axis for improved line of sight and control when removing a hook from a fish's mouth.
- BUILT FOR ON-THE-GO MOVEMENT: The spring-loaded pliers lessen hand fatigue and are held in check by a plunge lock - meaning the tool won't open unexpectedly when you're on the move or catching a fish.
The other best durable fishing pliers you should never miss in your tackle box is the Gerber fishing pliers. It features a soft, but highly effective construction, and despite its relatively smaller size, it comes with every feature you may need during your fishing expeditions. These include-:
Effective handle design – to give you the strongest grip for maximum force
Comfortable grip and control – the pliers are designed with an ergonomic control system that will accord you a better grip for maximum utilization.
Easy hook removal – this is due to the design of the nose that comes with an improved line of sight for easy and effective hook removal.
- Comfortable grip and design
- Easy hook removal
- Additional stability
- The lock needs more work
- Not suitable for salty water
- Doesn’t close all the way
Bubba Blade Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers
- DIMENSIONS: 7.5" overall length with 2" jaws
- EASE OF USE: Quickly remove hooks or replace treble hooks on your favorite lure while out catching fish
- RELIABLE: Patented Bubba Blade Non-Slip Grip handle ensure the pliers stay firmly anchored in your hand even when wet
- DURABLE: Aerospace aluminum construction for reliable lightweight usability - built for ultimate control, strength and durability
- CONVENIENT: The Ti-Nitride coated, rust resistant blade cuts through scales easily and features an extra sharp tip to make starting your cut a breeze and a sheath with a belt loop for close, hands free carry
The Bubba Blade Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers is one of other best fishing pliers you should consider having in your fishing tackle box. It has an overall length of 7” with jaws measuring about 2”, making it easy to use for a variety of applications such as removing hooks or replacing hooks on the lures. It is reliable, durable and convenient for pliers applications you may need while out in the waters.
- Non-slip grip
- Lightweight, but durable
- Rust-resistant blade
- Cutters not so strong
- Brittle blades
Our Final Thoughts on the Best Fishing Pliers
Don’t leave for your next fishing expedition if you have not confirmed that you have the best fishing pliers with you on your tackle box. Avoid the frustration that comes with cheap, poor quality pliers and invest in any of the above options for a great experience.