Last Updated on
The Best Fish Scale For the Money
If you are like me, you’ve probably gone through many different types and brands of fishing scales, all that either were inaccurate, not durable, or just simply not up to par in one way or another. Fish scales are actually important to have for fisherman because they allow you to get accurate measurements to compare with your buddies, and just to have bragging rights over the biggest fish on the day. They also are extremely important if you are a tournament angler, since you only want to be keeping the biggest fish of the day and culling the rest. In any case, you need the best fish scale for your money!
- 1 The Best Fish Scale For the Money
- 1.1 What Makes A Great Fish Scale?
- 1.2 Our Recommendations For the Best Fish Scale of 2019
- 1.3 Final Thoughts On These Fish Scales
What Makes A Great Fish Scale?
What makes the top fish scale? We are simply judging scales off of the following criteria (skip below to the reviews if you’d rather):
- Accuracy – What good is a scale that underweight your fish? Sure, we wouldn’t mind adding a couple extra pounds to our fish if it overweighs them, but even that doesn’t do much good for anybody since you know that your fish wasn’t as big as your friends, even though your scale said so. So, accuracy is the first and foremost consideration that we looked at when making this list.
- Ease of Use – Scales must be easy to use, meaning you don’t have to cycle through different screens to read how much your fish weighs. The easiest scales to use are probably spring scales, with digital scales and gripper type scales coming behind that.
- Durability – Fisherman can be fishing in some extreme conditions. In fact, some of the best fishing is done is rainy or cold conditions, and your scale better be able to function well during one of these long days. It should also last a few years at least, without stretching out or losing accuracy.
- Weight Range – Weight range is another factor to look at when buying a fishing scale. The wider the range, the better, so that way you can use it for as many different species as possible. You must get a scale that weighs within the normal range of fish you target.
- Design – Is the design friendly and ergonomic? Does the hook of the scale function well, or are the grippers designed well to hold the fish? These are questions you must ask yourself when looking at buying a fish scale.
With all that being said, let’s take a look at the best fishing scales for your money. If you are willing to spend a little bit of cash, you can get a scale that’ll last you the rest of your life.
Our Recommendations For the Best Fish Scale of 2019
Boga Grip 30lb Gripper – The Best Fish Scale for the Money
- Corrosion resitant stainless steel construction
- heavy duty rubberized non-slip handle
- Nylon sheath with stainless belt clip
The Boga Grip Fish Scales are the best fishing scales on the market, digital or not. They are grippers that are combined with a spring scale to accurately measure your fish. The particular version that is linked above is the 30 pound version, but they also have a 15 pound and a 60 pound version if need be. Keep in mind that the grippers are rated to handle double the weight of the scale, so if you buy the 15 pound version, it’ll handle fish up to 30 pounds but won’t weigh them.
What’s so special about this scale that it’s worth spending so much on? It’s got a few perks. First, it’s very durable. It’s made in the USA and is probably the last scale you’ll ever need to buy. Second, it’s downright accurate. So accurate that they calibrate each scale beforehand, then you can actually send it into the IGFA (International Game Fish Association) to have it physically certified to weigh record fish – that’s how accurate it is. This means if you’re a trophy fisher, you can actually weigh catch and release fish. Third, the grippers will keep your fingers safe from teethy pike or barracuda. The grippers will never let go of a fish unless it’s more than double the capacity of them.
So, if you are the type who supports products that are made in the USA, and you want to have to only buy one scale and be done for the rest of your life, this is the scale you need. It’s accurate, strong, has a gripper, and can be certified to actually weigh trophy fish.
Rapala Touch Screen Tourney Fish Scale – 15 lb
- Large Digital Touch Screen. Heavy-Duty Composite Weigh Clamp or Stainless Steel Hook. Back-Up Memory.
- 8 Piece Culling System. 3 Weight Display Options. Water Resistant.
- Back Light
- Ambient Temperature
- Tare Weight
Coming from a name brand, Rapala, we have the best digital fish scale on the market. Clicking the above link will bring you to the 15 pound version. This scale is easy to grip, accurate, and also maintains a good grip on the lips of the fish. You can also switch the gripper out for a stainless steel hook if you prefer that.
It has backup memory so it can remember the sizes of the fish that you caught. It has an 8 piece culling system with it as well. It’s waterproof, and durable from the weather. You can tare the scale if you need to just keep adding on fish weights for a total fish weight at the end of the day. It also calibrates every time you turn it on.
The user interface on the touch screen is easy to use and fairly large. If you are looking for a top digital fishing scale, this is your best bet for quality. Rapala is well known to make great fishing products.
Mustad 50-Pound Digital Fish Scale
- Digital Accuracy
- US/Metric conversion
- Easy to read back light display
- Water resistant design
- Internal memory stores up to 8 weights
Coming from another great fishing product manufacturer, Mustad, is more of a standard 50 pound digital fish scale, one of the best available. It also has memory in it that can store up to 8 fish, so you can keep track of your eight biggest fish throughout the day.
This fish scale is designed to be water resistant and durable from the weather. You can see in the picture above it comes with a carrier that you can carry on your belt to save space.
This digital fish scale is one of the more standard ones on the market, though definitely a high end standard scale. If you want a reliable, standard hook scale this is the right one for you.
Final Thoughts On These Fish Scales
If you are looking for the top fish scale, you need to get the Boga Grip scale. It’s by far the most durable, accurate, and high quality out of any fish scale on the market, and it also grips the fish by the lip so you can remove the hook easily. However, if you are on a budget and want to spend a little less money, then either one of these other scales will do the trick for you. The key is to find the one that fits exactly your needs and budget, and go from there! Good luck fishing!