Last Updated on
Finding The Best Fish Finder for Shallow Water of 2020
If you fish a lot in shallow water, you know it can be a struggle to get a fish finder that reads out far enough to be worth anything. Not all fish finders are created equal, and if you choose the correct one, it can make shallow water fishing a whole lot easier. Here we will discuss four candidates for the best fish finder for shallow water on the market today at different price points. Fish finders are worth the price you pay. As soon as you have one you start catching significantly more fish. If you’re ready to take your fishing game to the next level, continue reading!
- 1 Finding The Best Fish Finder for Shallow Water of 2020
- 1.1 Best Shallow Waters Fishfinder Recommendations
- 1.2 Our Final Verdict on the Best Fish Finder For Shallow Water
Best Shallow Waters Fishfinder Recommendations
Humminbird Helix 5 with Side Imaging and GPS Fish Finder – Our Top Choice For Shallow Waters
- Uses the most innovative and cutting edge technology
- Get the most out of your day trips and getaways
- The leader in fish finders, depth sounders and GPS systems
The most expensive in our test, the Humminbird Helix 5 SI and GPS fish finder is definitely the top dog here as well. This fish finder was practically built for shallow water fisherman, with side imaging to show you images in a cone 85° away from your boat to each side, at 455 kHz to give you a clear picture as well! This gives you so much range when you are scouting for bait schools or structure it’s ridiculous! This side imaging is good to depths of 100 feet, while if you just use the standard sonar you can reach down to 1,500 feet. With the standard sonar, you have the options of using either 83 kHz for deep water or 200 kHz for better images in shallower water. The screen size on this fish finder is 5″ diagonally.
The GPS this comes with is preloaded with Humminbird’s UniMaps system, but you also have the option of using Navionics with it if you purchase it separately. If you have a microSD card, you can also save waypoints or maps from this fish finder as well so you can visit the same spot next time.
All in all, this fish finder has the capabilities that many more expensive fish finders have at a great price. The side imaging will open the water up for you in shallow water, and I would bet that you will notice an increase in your catch when you learn to use it effectively.
RayMarine Dragonfly 4 Pro Fish Finder
- 4.3" All-weather, high-definition LED backlit display
- Optically bonded for sharp color, wide viewing angles and no internal fogging
- Dual-channel sonar - wide-spectrum CHIRP DownVision sonar for photo-like images and a second CHIRP conventional sonar channel for targeting fish
- Stream live sonar data to your smartphone with Raymarine's Wi-Fish mobile app; With the Wi-Fish you can rewind, save and share the day's catch with friends on your favorite social networks
- Aspect ratio: 16:9. Includes US lakes, rivers and coastal maps; Includes transom mount CHIRP transducer with temperature sensor
The Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro has a beautiful sharp color display that is optically bonded. Meaning this screen should never fog up or allow moisture inside. The screen measures 4.3″ diagonally. This fish finder reads in three frequencies: 50, 83, and 200, with 200 being the most sensitive for the shallow water fishing you are doing. This is what produces their down imaging pictures, which is the clear picture of the bottom you can see in the picture above. The 200 kHz also reads at a 60° cone, which will show you some serious bottom structure while giving you some outstanding pictures. The depth only goes to 600 feet, which shouldn’t be a problem if you are fishing shallow water only.
This fish finder comes stock with a GPS system equipped with C-Map Essentials, but it can be upgraded to several different types of maps. You can insert a memory card in order to save your route or waypoints to come back and fish them later.
The Raymarine 4 Pro also has another great feature – live wi-fi streaming of the fish finder so your buddies or you can watch it on your phone from anywhere on the boat. No more clustering around the fish finder!
For the price, this is another great fish finder for fishing shallow water.
Garmin Striker 4 with Transducer – The Best Fish Finder Under 100 Dollars
- CLEAR VÜ SCANNING SONAR Shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects, structure and fish
- THE POWER OF SIMPLE Offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5 , 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
- WAYPOINT MAP Use the way point map to easily view, mark and navigate to locations such as brush piles, stumps and docks; Maximum depth 1,600 feet freshwater, 750 feet saltwater; Current draw at 12Volt : 0.23 Ampere
- CHIRP SONAR CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies which provides a wider range of information; CHIRP sonar is able to create crisper fish arches with better target separation
- BUILT IN FLASHER View your sonar data in the classic flasher format; ideal for ice fishing or vertical jigging.Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches (4.9 x 7.3 centimeter); 3.5 inches diagonal (8.7 centimeter)
The Garmin Striker 4 is one of my favorite options on the list. With a beautiful sharp color display that is optically bonded, this screen should never fog up or allow moisture inside. The screen is an easy to use 3.5 inch colored display. It can display fish at a depth of up to 1,600 ft in freshwater, or 750 ft in saltwater. The unit will display depth, temperature, your movement speed, and plenty more additional information.
The Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder makes it so simple to catch fish. With its high -sensitivity GPS you’re able to detect the exact location of fish near you. It comes with their Garmin CHIRP transfucer, which is one of the better ones on the market.
This is a very simple and high quality fish finder. It has plenty of features and with its pin point accuracy you are able to use it in deeper waters.
Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder
- Shows you what is in the water: Detects and displays water depth, approximate fish location (suits for all sorts of fish), short & tall weeds, sand & rocks on seabed. Suitable for fishing from a kayak, off the dock, and ice fishing. You can use the fish finder on moving kayak with slowly speed below 5mph (make sure the bottom of the transducer is horizontal).
- Easy to Use: Toss the transducer into water and turn on the display unit, it will show you the water depth and approximate fish depth if fish schools passing by. It has 5 user selectable sensitivity; battery save mode; backlight mode ; fish alarm; unit of measure. Setting can be saved when turned off.
- Very portable that you can take it anywhere: It comes with neck strap that allow you to wear it around neck when you are busy on the kayak. And you can easily store the fish finder in your tackle box. The fishfinder is powered by 4 AAA batteries. It lasts 4-5 hours with new batteries in continuous use. It can be used in fresh water as well as salt/sea water.
- Accurate Depth Reading: The fish finder use sonar to detect water depth and fish location. Sonar Frequency is 200 kHZ. Detectable area is 45 degrees beam angle under the sonar transducer. Detectable depth range is from 3ft/1m to 328ft/100m below the sonar transducer.
- Warranty and Brand Support: The Venterior Portable Fish Finder is covered by a 2-year Warranty. Any issue of the fish finder after purchase, please don't hesitate to contact our brand support (warranty card comes with product in package), we will response within 24 hours every day online.
The Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder is a very basic and beginner friendly fish finder. But it certainly doesn’t lack quality. It comes with a nice adhesive so you can stick it onto the side of your boat to control depth.
The depth range is 330 meters and it can also be used for ice fishing. I recommend taking spare batteries with you as it goes through batteries quickly. The screen displays approximate fish location accurately. The backlight allows you to use it at night. It has everything you are looking for in a fish finder, and it is a fraction of the price of the other ones on the list.
One of the best parts about the Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder is its great warranty. It is completely covered for 2 years. Not that I’ve had any issues with the one I have. But being able to return an item is always better than not being able to. All in all the Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder is a great choice.
Our Final Verdict on the Best Fish Finder For Shallow Water
All Four of these shallow water fish finders discussed above will help you with shallow water fishing, while giving you the option of fishing deeper if necessary. We tell everyone from beginners to pros that a fish finder is definitely worth it. When it comes to fishing in 2020, the importance of a fish finder cannot be understated. Why fish blindly when you could know exactly where to fish. We hope this guide on shallow water fish finders will help you in that regard, Just remember, know your budget and spend accordingly! Good luck and good fishing!